Cleaning Bass boat Carpet
The best way to keep your boat carpet looking good over the long haul is to clean it thoroughly two or three times a year.
(Editor's note: This article originally appeared in the 2013 Winter issue of Bass Fishing magazine. To read more compelling articles from Bass Fishing magazine each month, become an FLW subscriber member.)
If there is one thing I hate worse than seeing a nice bass boat with a filthy finish, it’s seeing one with dirty carpet. I like to keep my stuff clean, but not just because it looks good. A bass boat is a huge investment, and the more you can do to protect that investment the better the returns if you ever decide to sell or trade it.
Of course, if you use a boat regularly, some sort of grime will eventually get tracked onto the carpet, no matter how hard you try to prevent it. Timely vacuuming will keep most of the loose stuff picked up, though some of it is sure to find its way deep into the carpet’s fibers. Over time, this can cause carpet to develop a soiled look and lose its fluff, particularly in high-traffic areas.
Perhaps the best way to keep your boat carpet looking good over the long haul is to clean it thoroughly two or three times per year – sometimes more. By “thorough, ” I’m not talking about a quick rinse under a water hose. I’m talking hard-core cleaning – a down-on-your-knees, break-out-the-elbow-grease scrubbing intended to raise dirt, grit and other junk from their deepest hiding spots.
The following is a quick guide for how to get the job done.
Car wash a no-no
At one time or another we have all pulled our boat into the neighborhood car wash bay, soaped it up, rinsed it off and taken off into the wild blue yonder. Convenient as it is, it’s not a good habit to get into. That’s the word from Joey Grede, lead man in the service shop at Ranger Boats.
“The owner’s manual for our boats says you can do it, but I usually advise people to stay away from car washes when it comes to cleaning their carpet, ” Grede says. “The carpet we use is very high quality with plastic fibers. If you get a high-pressure nozzle too close to boat carpet, it could burn it.”
High-pressure sprayers can be especially hard on older carpet that has become dry and brittle with time. Place the nozzle too close and it could actually rip a hole through the backing on the carpet or cause the glue to release. Either way, the results aren’t pretty.
Easy does it
There are all sorts of steam cleaners and other commercial equipment available that will do a good job of cleaning boat carpet, but Grede prefers to skip the expense and stick with the basics. In his opinion, it’s hard to beat a 5-gallon bucket filled with soapy water, a garden hose and a medium bristle scrub brush.
“That’s the way we do it here, ” he says. “You aren’t going to hurt anything with a garden hose and soap. Just be sure and use a mild soap, and make sure to get all of the soap rinsed out.”
I’ve followed the soapy water regimen before, but I prefer an old-school mixture of white vinegar and water. Vinegar is a very weak form of acetic acid with all sorts of household uses. It works great for breaking down dirt, getting rid of stains and curbing foul odors without damaging your carpet. I’ve used the mixture to clean my boat carpet multiple times, and it always comes out looking great.
I follow a 10-step process whether I’m using the vinegar mixture or soapy water:
1. Park it: Park the boat on a slight slope, preferably attached to a tow vehicle, with the transom on the downhill side. Make sure the boat is sitting level side-to-side so water will drain through the floor. And don’t forget to remove the drain plug.
2. Mix it: If you’re using the vinegar/water mixture, pour 2 to 3 pints of white vinegar into a 2-gallon pump-up sprayer and top it off with water. If using soap and water, first mix in a 5-gallon bucket.
3. Vacuum: Use a heavy-duty or commercial vacuum to rid the carpet of any loose dirt before you begin.
4. Soak it down: Beginning at the front of the boat, use a garden hose (spray nozzle removed) to saturate the carpet thoroughly in the area to be cleaned.
5. Brush it out: Use a soft scrub brush to loosen any dirt, then re-saturate with water. It is best to perform this and the following steps on one section of carpet at a time, beginning at the front and working your way back.
6. Apply vinegar/water mix or soap: Use the garden sprayer to apply the mixture, thoroughly saturating a small section. Allow the solution to soak in for several minutes. If using soap, apply with a brush or sponge.
7. Scrub: Scrub the section again to loosen up any remaining dirt or stains.
8. Rinse: Rinse the area thoroughly while continuing to scrub. Repeat the process on the remainder of the front deck, cockpit and rear deck carpeting.
9. Suck it up: Once you are done cleaning, use a heavy-duty vacuum to move all excess moisture, and let the boat sit in the sun for a few hours to dry.
10. Fluff it up: When the carpet dries, use a clean, medium bristle brush and brush the carpet against the grain. This will make the fibers stand erect and look fluffy and new again.doorstop international stylish mens pyjamas stylish sunglasses for men nike worldwide trainers stylish nails the wine society uk outdoor mini golf near me outdoor childrens play equipment streams of joy international coworking southampton designing a coworking space dhl worldwide sensor light outdoor coventry building society isa rates coworking norwich britannia building society near me lincoln christmas market media and communication degree neighbourhood communication crossword clue law society solicitor list slim christmas tree christmas star worldwide logistics stylish lunch bags for work women's stylish fitness tracker model of communication outdoor lighting ideas skipton building society head office cluster christmas lights public communication stylish simple gold ring design gilles peterson worldwide the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society book outdoor hutch for guinea pigs stylish womens glasses coworking desks stylish man crossword christmas boxes small outdoor kitchen ideas communication process chiswick coworking space why is effective communication important in health and social care bistro set outdoor tall planters outdoor nest cam iq outdoor what is the best coworking space for animators stylish blazers france international team coworking west london eye gaze communication forms of communication crossword clue history of communication christmas tshirts stylish establishment crossword stylish finger mehndi design explore worldwide communication and intellectual development 0-19 years woolwich building society uk stylish club coworking space birmingham al outdoor bars london bridge underdog international stylish radiators outdoor kitchen ideas mary berry christmas cake outdoor plant pots uk nationwide building society online banking extra large outdoor christmas decorations uk written and verbal communication skills chelsea building society login miss grand international 2022 overcoming barriers to communication paraverbal communication law society complaints the royal society outdoor lighted christmas decorations pyramid international coworking space with gym 2x2 worldwide stylish swimwear bandaranaike international airport happy christmas images outdoor shoes body language in communication kitchens international stylish watches for men communication skills trainer the society imdb christmas buffet ideas worldwide music christmas jumper stylish tv stands day pass coworking london coworking space whitefield stafford railway building society handy communication system crossword arrivals belfast international dead poets society book christmas outdoor lights christmas markets manchester international women's day 2022 quotes pubg stylish names hampshire ornithological society stylish pens park christmas the vegan society hong kong international airport stylish sideboard stylish duvet covers merry christmas and happy new year leeds permanent building society peckham coworking space christmas tree clipart communication images womens christmas jumpers christmas traditions outdoor storage shed cake international 2022 coworking space ec1 different communication methods outdoor birthday party ideas christmas door decorations coworking space hollywood international women's day 2022 memes cain international hampers for christmas coventry building society login stylish ergonomic chairs coworking berlin prenzlauer berg communication games signal feature has gone worldwide fact worldwide language barriers to communication worldwide festival 2022 n s international stylish bike helmets for women coworking space notting hill communication framework baby's first christmas visual communication definition coworking space near primrose hill worldwide parcel services cotswold outdoor coworking glasgow london omnibus traction society informal communication examples dunfermline building society outdoor pool near me leeds building society christmas plates dhl worldwide tracking royal entomological society stylish coffee cups last christmas movie new international fidelity worldwide investment pubg stylish text generator when will international travel resume uk outdoor drinks worldwide jumper stylish cute baby girl outfits george formby society wildlife conservation society harrogate christmas market hinckley and rugby building society outdoor beanbag worldwide vaccine comparison perfect society mammal society coworking victoria london vegan society coworking space nottingham worldwide travel adapter building society international travel restrictions melton mowbray building society pretentiously stylish crossword clue stylish black dresses new jersey coworking space stylish lights coworking office manchester golf society near me outdoor bar plans with roof placebo fans worldwide worldwide covid vaccination count